The Memphis Area Women’s Council is here to take care of what matters to women in Greater Memphis.
We are a non-profit organization, with individual and organization members. We are not service providers and we do not raise funds to support social services.
We connect research with activists who raise a collective voice to make change in local policies and practices that limit success of women and girls.
We are pleased to have helped achieve many successes since our founding 10 (?) years ago:
- To end corporal punishment in city schools.
- To secure a Living Wage for Memphis and Shelby County employees.
- To lead a new awareness campaign to connect victims and volunteers to domestic resources via www.erasedomesticcrime.com.
- To document needs in the Orders of Protection hearing room via our court watch.
- To champion a Family Safety Center that rescues those damaged by domestic crime.
- To increase services, shelter and victim advocates for victims of domestic crime.
- To equip girls to use data and lead policy change that enforces sexual harassment law and makes schools safer. (read more)